• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Something Rotten in the Riddermark

Yah sorry if there was not continuity I did not see it, however, I really enjoyed that exchange..thank you.
 
Haha, indeed! I've made another new post, this time trying to incorporate Hengist and Haluin. Look forward to meeting you two in the empty stable by the pub. :p
 
Decided to add a post giving a little flavour to the fair.

Yay and Daranavo - hope you didn't mind me sticking you both in the swordsman tourney?

If anybody else wishes you to join any of the contests let me know, I can sign you up in one of the bouts. Hengist needs to be in the wrestling final though, and Haluin in Archery. Some interesting plot-lines will thereby ensue.

*wonders if Jokim and Ollie will perform well enough to to earn a place in Meduseld on the final day*

:D

Nice post elf-girl, not sure there would be quite so many whores in Edoras, not exactly your typical urban cesspool after all... but after my performance with the jedi mind trick the other night. I'm in no position to criticise...:eek:

:D
 
Nice post elf-girl, not sure there would be quite so many whores in Edoras, not exactly your typical urban cesspool after all... but after my performance with the jedi mind trick the other night. I'm in no position to criticise...:eek:

:D

Well, thanks.

And in my defense... in the chivalrous-type time in London, or any other place... could you really say the same thing? It's just a fact of life; where there are soldiers, with money, especially if there is alcohol, there are whores.
 
Many men who grew up in Rohan had died before ever knowing a woman. Edoras was not like a typical place of that era. Always beset by strife and enemies, such debouchery though it may of existed, would not be profound at all. The Rohirrim were not typical men and soldiers in my mind. Driven by will, oath and purpose.
 
Many men who grew up in Rohan had died before ever knowing a woman. Edoras was not like a typical place of that era. Always beset by strife and enemies, such debouchery though it may of existed, would not be profound at all. The Rohirrim were not typical men and soldiers in my mind. Driven by will, oath and purpose.

So... I guess they were like the elves. The entire race (or in this case ethnicity) was completely pure and perfect and wonderful and they never did anything wrong because it was WRONG! *sniff* Of course... how could you insinuate that they were MEN, Elfy! Horrible, horrible.

If you'd like, Daranavo, maybe we could edit our posts to make them more pristine.
 
Not pristine, but perhaps more Tolkienesque? No need to take offence where none is meant, but not all RPGs are meant to have sexual innuendo therein.

Actually, believe it or not, there are some men out there who respect women.:eek: At least...those worthy of respect...
 
Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to disrespect either gender. But quite honestly, unless the Rohirrim were like the Roman army, I think it highly unlikely that there were not ladies of ill repute around them. It's just like you could argue with any darker elven character (and after this, I suppose any darker Rohirrim soldier), that Tolkien did not envision their being anything but wonderful and nice. But you can't push a race, or even an ethnicity or an area, into a category and have it describe all of them. Maybe my characters are just in the wrong part of town. But I'm sorry, just speaking culturally, realistically, I don't think it was out of line. I just don't especially like Daranavo's little "everything is pure" view of this area and this - or any - group of people.
 
Here's a solution.

Dara, I apologize if our views clash. No big deal.

Turgon, if you want either of us to change our posts, we will.

Chryso... sorry.

Sere... Shut your mouth. Now.

Problem solved.
 
Yes, I hold no emotion to my words, I am simply attempting to point out that the third age is not like the fourth age. When a common enemy is upon a race of people, there is little tolerance for laziness, crime and such. The society requires every available person to put effort toward the common good. To learn and become proficient at...something useful. It took alot to repair leather, make food and ale, birth horses and livestock, tend to the fields, tend the houses and buildings. Most of the men did not do these things, they, were soldiers. The women did these things as Grandmothers, mothers, wives, sisters and daughters. It would be intrinsically important for every available man and woman to be mated for the survival of the race. This, I believe was Tolkiens intent of these people during this time.

I do not see anything wrong with portraying a less devout character but before you simply do, consider the implications of such a person in such a society. If trust became an issue, would you want to go into battle?

Later, when the evil is vanquished, perhaps there would be more of such especially when the blood of Kings has ended and everyday comforts are sought after.
 
My words were mostly in jest Elfy and Seregon, it's no big deal. I can see everybody's point on this issue. Personally I see the Rohirrim as Tolkien's homage to the anglo-saxon's of England prior to the Norman invasion. That's where my I got the inspiration for my character Hengist. Hengist was, of course, a famous Saxon warlord, along with his brother Horsa. (hehe... yes I avoided making the obvious joke...;) ) Also Hengist's masked dwarven helm is more a homage to the famous helmet found in the treasure of Sutton Hoo rather than anything else. The Rohirrim were not soldier's though, I've always seen them like the old Saxon fyrd. As did Tolkien I think, that is to say, an army of non-professional warriors, not a standing army; this was a big deal in England. It was also one of reasons we lost the Battle of Hastings. We have never liked a standing army, of course this in later days this changed, the downside of imperialism maybe? But meh... I'm straying from my point.

Even in Anglo-saxon England, whores existed, it is not called the oldest profession for nothing. So let us not turn a jest into an issue? My favourite RP character of all time, Serewing, was rather fond of ladies of ill-repute himself. In fact 'fast ships and loose women' were ever his watch-words. Elfgirl and Seregon, I do not want you to change your posts, also you should meet Serewing, I'm sure you would have a lot in common. Hehe... ahem! I don't think people are getting at you here, maybe they just envisioned a more 'heroic' story. Terrible things did happen in Tolkien's work. The fate of Celebrian for instance has always been a bone of contention with Tolkien scholars.

So let's put this behind us and have some fun eh? Maybe strike a happy medium?
 
Hi all,

New post, no whores. Nothing with four legs, either. :)

I like how things are shaping up... there are some nice little conflicts brewing, and a lot of characters who are going to start bumping into each other rather soon.

Next time you hear from me, Sir Astoundo and his Astonishing Assembly of Assonance should be performing, so do make reservations. ;)

Until then, I need to get to work on a feature that I'm doing for the magazine where I'm interning this summer. It's not too long (shorter than this last post, actually), but it's my first major article for them and I want to make it good.

I'll be sure to check TTF each time I take a break, though.

P.S. What the hell is this I see on the bottom of the forums? Happy birthday, Yay!
 
For the swordsmanship bit, no, I wouldn't mind having Eorache the Valiant in on that. Truor would call you crazy if you suggested it for him, though. Neither of them would go into the archery contest, but Truor would definitely watch. It looks as if the Miss Insanity person has an idea for her horse and Truor in the race, though. Who knows? Truor's short but stocky, would weight about as much or even a bit more than some other riders. Shortness would give them better aerodynamics? Truor could fly into a fit of rage and attack Eorache the Valiant, who would most likely enter with the longsuffering Rogane, if the guy made too many sickeningly heroic comments. :rolleyes:

Also, yes, I deserve a happy birthday.
 
Happy Birthday YG! Have a fresh, wriggling fish head on me my friend! :D
 
Hey, why not? Make that two! You deserve 'um, Yay. :D =^.^=

Dar, I'll try to find a way we can work out our post soon. Might be around, ummm... Well, I've got a three day weekend starting tomorrow so I think I should be able to find somewhere to got online for a bit. Depends on what else is going on. Look forward to writing for this again. Will try to keep up as needed. :)

=^.^=
 
This weekend is not possible. But I will be writing it maybe Sunday evening and beginning of week in the evenings.
 
Ok, I am lost as to what is going on. First Hengist was an outcast, and now, he isn't without explanation? ALot of my writing involved an interaction with Hengist to get him an audience and now, well, its scrapped. I will just write something involving Daranavo and his lady friend.
 
Oh, sorry if I threw the storyline off. :(

Should I delete the post?
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top