Server Room Gremlin
a.k.a. Curufin the Crafty
- Joined
- Sep 29, 2023
- Messages
- 2,639
Interesting you should say that. I was actually thinking about a particular moment in IWH when drawing this, and he does show determination and concern very shortly afterwards.I like his profile! He looks determined, and maybe slightly concerned about something.
Eh, kind of. As I said, he is quite an even mixture of both his parents, appearance-wise. Around the nose and upper face in particular, you can see where he takes after Anca.Curufinwë Ctrl C + Ctrl V genetics strike again!
That is Tancaquárë in the blue shirt on the right.Have you drawn Tancaquárë before? I'd love to see her for a comparison. I remember your picture of Curufin as you sketched him before, but I think I haven't seen Tanca yet.
I can definitely see Curufin in Celebrimbor's lower face, though, as you mentioned. He's got that same mouth and chin.
Indeed, he looks very much like 'him': this is certainly the face of the Celebrimbor I portrayed in my story. :3I love how the combination of his parents' features gives Celebrimbor a soft expression, but an unyielding face. Much like the quicksilver his father compared him to in your story.
As I have finished my two main fanfictions, I think I'll be focusing more on drawing than writing this year. So there will be more for you to see and appreciate. 🤗Adorable little baby! I'd missed your drawings. 🥺
Without clear clothing on him right now, Celebrimbor's design reminds me of your sketch of the Three C's newly in Mandos comforting each other after Doriath. I love his thoughtful, concerned gaze here!Tyelperinquar (!)
I have sketched the adult Celebrimbor, as he appears in TWC and IWH, for the first time!
View attachment 46609
I have drawn him as a baby several times before.
View attachment 46610
And while I have drawn Celebrimbor's face in this gift for @Tyelkormo the Fair, that drawing is set in an alternate universe where he has a different mother, so he doesn't exactly look like the Celebrimbor I normally envision, the son of Curufin and Tancaquárë.
You can see the family resemblance between the three of them. :3
View attachment 46613
Celebrimbor's features are supposed to be a blend of Curufin's and Tancaquárë's: he doesn't take after one more strongly than the other. I think that shows.
Yay, more drawings to come! 😄As I have finished my two main fanfictions, I think I'll be focusing more on drawing than writing this year. So there will be more for you to see and appreciate. 🤗
Drawing faces and bodies comes naturally for me, but designing clothing that looks nice takes more thought (in my mental image, I will vaguely see colours and general shapes of their clothes, but not in enough detail to look good in a drawing).Without clear clothing on him right now, Celebrimbor's design reminds me of your sketch of the Three C's newly in Mandos comforting each other after Doriath. I love his thoughtful, concerned gaze here!
I think this is why it took me so long to draw my version of Tyelpë. It was hard for me to translate my mental image of him to the page, given that my mind thinks he should have something of both parents in his appearance.It's also interesting how you take into consideration the parentage of Celebrimbor for his design, making differences in his appearance based on whether Anca is his mother or a different woman. Such subtlety of details, and in the combining of them between Curvo and Anca to get Tyelpe! ✨
weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning
(Psalm 30:5)
Aurë entuluva!
(The Silmarillion, Chapter 20)
I can practically hear the Wii music going on in his head. 😂I just have to comment real quick on the Confused Maedhros panel because YES. That is EXACTLY what would happen. Bro's so chronically tired that he probably Would Not Get What's Going On at first and just be like, "...is Curvo in a weirdly cheerful mood for some reason?" Or otherwise, "...Finno is dressed funnily but I can't put a finger on why."
He needs a strong cup of tea. Or a nap.
Ahaha, aww, thank you, Servo! This is amazing and hilarious! 🥺😂✨ To see our switcheroo finally happen and the chaos that follows is perfect.Is it, perchance, someone's birthday...? 😮🤔
...
...
...
...why yes, it is! Get over here, @Fingon_Findekáno! 😂 😉 😄
May I present your present, an illustration of the funny idea we have joked about before: Curufin and Fingon switching their clothes for fun, in order to prank/bemuse/confuse everyone.
It was probably Fingon who had the idea first, let's be honest, noticing that he and Curufin are of similar size and have dark hair. And Curufin went along with it, because it appealed to his sense of humour (you might not think it due to his usually deadpan expression, but he likes pranks as much as his bro Celegorm).
And neither of them changed their behaviour at all: they just went about their daily lives in Tirion and let the confusion follow in their wake. >‿> ✨
View attachment 46917
I like the colored pencil look!I coloured this in pencil, as I think it most suits the little 'pocket prince' character style. I was also thinking about my Caranthir drawing (this one) and how much I liked the look of it.
Teehee! If Maitimo and Glorfindel can pull off a switcheroo, then so can we, cousin! No hair dye needed! 😂The upper row of panels shows Fingon communicating his idea to Curufin, and the two of them switching clothes and hairstyles.
It cracks me up seeing these two dressed like the other, yet they retain their personalities-- it adds to the chaos when interacting with others!! Suddenly Finno has lost his sunshiny personality, and Curvo has become very cheery. Has the world turned upside down??? 🤣 Huan is amused because he's not fooled; his sense of smell is too strong, being able to tell who's who. The dog likes a good laugh, though. 😂And then the panels below:
1. Fingolfin tries to get the attention of his 'son', and is jumpscared when it turns out to be Curufin.
2. Fingon goes to hang out with Maedhros, and Maedhros is very bemused by this drastic (and distinctly Curufin-y) change in attire.
3. Celegorm meets up with his brother and cousin for a hunting trip, and is confronted by this unexpected sight. Huan is amused.
That they do! 🥺 I love how you combined your art styles, using your comic style for the main image and then using Pocket Princes to tell the story elements. With the central focus, it shows this moment between Finno and Curvo where they are relaxed and have formed a connection with each other over something. ✨The central image is in my default comic style. Fingon is carrying his harp, and Curufin has been sketching some plans for a new project onto paper. I wanted to show the aspects of them which match us personally: music/singing, and visual art.
Aww, I love seeing these expressions on these two. 🥺I also tried to show another aspect of Fingon here: his kindness.
Previously in my drawings and sketches you have seen his humour and cheekiness, and his joyfulness (and even his adventurous nature in my animated GIF of him). But here, I tried to show his gentleness and his surprisingly subtle brand of warmth in his posture and expression. Co-existing with the hints of joy and humour still in his gaze.
And Curufin’s expression is a softer one too. I tried to show the gentler side of him, which (of course) only shows up very subtly in his expression and body language.
Here I would say he’s feeling shy because he’s done something out of the ordinary and worked together with Fingon on something. Even if it was just for a silly prank, it was still a connection of sorts, and perhaps they both noticed a different side to each other, which they would not otherwise have picked up from a superficial or external glance.
The borders do remind me of some of the blanket designs, yes! And I do enjoy observing lots of details, making my appreciation of the artist's work even greater. 😊The illustrations are bordered with decorative patterns in a medieval or Celtic style. I enjoy drawing these kinds of patterns, and I thought they would be reminiscent of the floral patterns on some of the blankets you designed for our Mettarë comic.
There are lots of little details here for you to see and enjoy. I myself find it very entertaining to look at. So many things to observe!
And I hope your birthday is a blessed one, my friend. 🫂
These are beautiful and very relaxing! I've been listening to them quite a bit, and even now as I am writing this. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to learn how to play the lyre because of Finno, but for now listening to these lovely pieces and imagining Fingon playing them is good enough. Thank you for sharing these! ☺️✨✨ Music! ✨
While I was drawing, this melody came into my head. No doubt I recalled it due to thinking about Fingon and his harp.
And here are a couple of other pieces of harp music which I think might suit Fingon.
No, actually. I had already sketched out that part long before. Our conversation about Curufin being particular about who touches his hair was quite a happy coincidence. I only realised during the conversation that this would bring deeper meaning to what you would eventually see in the drawing. And I knew you would remember it and make the connection upon seeing my drawing, so I was quite pleased at this turn of events. ☺️And aww, Curvo is allowing Finno to touch his hair! A rare opportunity, and a moment to be treated with respect, considering how particular Curvo is with who touches his hair; Finno is typically not included in this small circle. For Curvo to let Finno handle his hair and braid it with gold, he must really be all-in for the prank and trust Finno. 🥺 Did you draw this after our conversation the other night?
Lol! 😂 👌I also just realized, this could be like The Parent Trap (but also not)! 😂 Imagine what would happen if Fëanor encountered Fingon, thinking he was his Mini-Me at first, and then quickly realizes he's not. 😳😅 Now I'm picturing Fëanor approaching Fingolfin, holding out Finno-Curvo by the collar of his tunic in mid-air.
"I believe this belongs to you. 😑"
Fingolfin stares back and forth in bewilderment between the Curvo-Finno he encountered and the Finno-Curvo in Fëanor's possession. 😵💫😂
I would think Anca would not be so fooled either, being so in-tune with her Curvo to know this look-alike is not him. 🥺
Indeed, that's just what I thought.For Finno, he probably reigned in his energy and channeled his calmer side to help Curvo feel more at ease around him.
Exactly! I thought of that too! I actually went back and read that RP so that my mental image of 'warm and gentle Finno' could be clearer, so I could draw him!I love getting to see this side of him, showcasing his kindness and gentleness here. Reminds me a little of our late-night RP long ago when new-father Curvo let Finno into the room to meet Anca and baby Tyelpë, and Finno was just in quiet awe of the baby while he cooed over him. 🥺
Hehe, the fact that this endeavour included both secret plotting and a ridiculous prank (that tickled his sense of humour!) totally helped warm Curufin up to the idea of working together with Fingon. He already likes doing both these things.
All good observations! I am happy the ring came out well enough for you to notice its shape! The star is tiny, barely wider than a millimetre. I intended it to be a subtle reference to the wedding ring Curufin made for Tancaquárë, which is also golden with a little red star. I know you liked reading all that I wrote about them, and I also wanted to put something meaningful in Curvo's sketch, rather than some new thing invented just for this moment.Let's see what details I spy... there's the anvil and hammer from Curvo's blanket; it appears Curvo's working on a red star-shaped ring; Finno's "lightbulb" idea is actually a lantern here; the subtle changes in expressions; Curvo and Finno in the mirror; the differences in the shape of their heads and ears; the Catvo paw prints; Curvo's "What do you want?" crabby stare at Fingolfin and the latter's jump reaction; Maitimo's utter confusion (as Wii music plays in his head 😂); Tyelko's head turning back and forth, etc.
Is Curvo slightly paler in his complexion than Finno in the central image?
Hah, yes, that is a possibility. But he could also be working on crafts which don't involve forging, so Fingon's clothes may be spared that, at least. 😂If they're just going about their day as they normally would if they were themselves, Finno will probably get his clothes back all covered in soot from the forge. 😂
You are most welcome. I can tell you like it, and that it has brought you joy, and that pleases me very much. ☺️🫂Thank you again for this wonderful birthday gift, Servo! ❤️☺️🫂
Thank you so much, mellon vuin! Your gift is truly a treasure I cherish, and it means a lot to me. ❤️The drawing and the verse speak for themselves.
Indeed your depiction shows it very well-- some days I feel like I am on a mountaintop... 🥁 and others I am facing a Balrog once again. But never alone.you walk side by side with him every day through trials and joys. 💛 ☀️ 🌻
I can sense the shininess through the screen. ☺️ It is giving off breastplate of righteousness! And the Balrog looks very much like the Evil One hurling his flaming darts-- or whip in this case.I used my silver pencil to colour Glorfindel’s armour, so when viewed in person, he is quite shiny.
And thank you for sharing this, for it feels very relevant to the time and age we live in this world. An encouragement to keep fighting to the end. Literally, sometimes. *Coughs*Verse context:
This is beautiful! It is both reverent and haunting, a longing for a home that once was and will be... but for now out of reach except in the mind's eye. 🥺 I can imagine Glorfindel remembering both Valinor and Gondolin this way. 🌞🌻🌼 I can relate to yearning for my heavenly destination as well. We are weary but Spirit-lit travelers searching for eternal home. It is enough. Until then... we await.Here is something I listened to while drawing, and which I thought you might like.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?