Is it, perchance, someone's birthday...? 😮🤔
...
...
...
...why yes, it is! Get over here,
@Fingon_Findekáno! 😂 😉 😄
May I pre
sent your
present, an illustration of the funny idea we have joked about before:
Curufin and
Fingon switching their clothes for fun, in order to prank/bemuse/confuse everyone.
It was probably Fingon who had the idea first, let's be honest, noticing that he and Curufin are of similar size and have dark hair. And Curufin went along with it, because it appealed to his sense of humour (you might not think it due to his usually deadpan expression, but he likes pranks as much as his bro
Celegorm).
And neither of them changed their behaviour at all: they just went about their daily lives in
Tirion and let the confusion follow in their wake. >‿> ✨
View attachment 46917
Ahaha, aww, thank you, Servo! This is amazing and hilarious! 🥺😂✨ To see our switcheroo finally happen and the chaos that follows is
perfect.
I coloured this in pencil, as I think it most suits the little 'pocket prince' character style. I was also thinking about my Caranthir drawing (
this one) and how much I liked the look of it.
I like the colored pencil look!
The upper row of panels shows Fingon communicating his idea to Curufin, and the two of them switching clothes and hairstyles.
Teehee! If
Maitimo and
Glorfindel can pull off a switcheroo, then so can we, cousin! No hair dye needed! 😂
And aww, Curvo is allowing Finno to touch his hair! A rare opportunity, and a moment to be treated with respect, considering how particular Curvo is with who touches his hair; Finno is typically not included in this small circle. For Curvo to let Finno handle his hair and braid it with gold, he must really be all-in for the prank and trust Finno. 🥺 Did you draw this after our conversation the other night?
And don't worry, cousin, I'll treat your hair extra carefully and be gentle with it. You're gonna look like a great imposter Hair Commander! 😂😄
And then the panels below:
1.
Fingolfin tries to get the attention of his 'son', and is jumpscared when it turns out to be Curufin.
2. Fingon goes to hang out with
Maedhros, and Maedhros is very bemused by this drastic (and distinctly Curufin-y) change in attire.
3. Celegorm meets up with his brother and cousin for a hunting trip, and is confronted by this unexpected sight.
Huan is amused.
It cracks me up seeing these two dressed like the other, yet they retain their personalities-- it adds to the chaos when interacting with others!! Suddenly Finno has lost his sunshiny personality, and Curvo has become very cheery. Has the world turned upside down??? 🤣 Huan is amused because he's not fooled; his sense of smell is too strong, being able to tell who's who. The dog likes a good laugh, though. 😂
I also just realized, this could be like
The Parent Trap (but also not)! 😂 Imagine what would happen if
Fëanor encountered Fingon, thinking he was his Mini-Me at first, and then quickly realizes he's
not. 😳😅 Now I'm picturing Fëanor approaching Fingolfin, holding out Finno-Curvo by the collar of his tunic in mid-air.
"I believe
this belongs to you. 😑"
Fingolfin stares back and forth in bewilderment between the Curvo-Finno he encountered and the Finno-Curvo in Fëanor's possession. 😵💫😂
I would think Anca would not be so fooled either, being so in-tune with her Curvo to know this look-alike is not him. 🥺
The central image is in my default comic style. Fingon is carrying his harp, and Curufin has been sketching some plans for a new project onto paper. I wanted to show the aspects of them which match us personally: music/singing, and visual art.
That they do! 🥺 I love how you combined your art styles, using your comic style for the main image and then using Pocket Princes to tell the story elements. With the central focus, it shows this moment between Finno and Curvo where they are relaxed and have formed a connection with each other over something. ✨
I also tried to show another aspect of Fingon here: his kindness.
Previously in my drawings and sketches you have seen his humour and cheekiness, and his joyfulness (and even his adventurous nature
in my animated GIF of him). But here, I tried to show his gentleness and his surprisingly subtle brand of warmth in his posture and expression. Co-existing with the hints of joy and humour still in his gaze.
And Curufin’s expression is a softer one too. I tried to show the gentler side of him, which (of course) only shows up very subtly in his expression and body language.
Here I would say he’s feeling shy because he’s done something out of the ordinary and worked together with Fingon on something. Even if it was just for a silly prank, it was still a connection of sorts, and perhaps they both noticed a different side to each other, which they would not otherwise have picked up from a superficial or external glance.
Aww, I love seeing these expressions on these two. 🥺
For Finno, he probably reigned in his energy and channeled his calmer side to help Curvo feel more at ease around him. I love getting to see this side of him, showcasing his kindness and gentleness here. Reminds me a little of our late-night RP long ago when new-father Curvo let Finno into the room to meet Anca and baby Tyelpë, and Finno was just in quiet awe of the baby while he cooed over him. 🥺
I'm glad Curvo feels comfortable with Finno here, as they're about to form an unlikely alliance to prank everyone else. They may be total opposites in personalities, but they can get along when the moment is right (and when Finno is calm and gentle around him).
Like Curvo allowing Finno to touch his hair, this is also a special moment between them as they form a connection with each other over something seemingly small. Finno likely recognizes this and would not want to ruin the moment, but would do what he can to keep this momentary openness between them a positive experience.
I also note they have already changed their appearances, as this is "the calm before the storm". They have plotted and committed to this idea and are having a quiet moment of fun together before they unleash their new brand of chaos on the unsuspecting
peoples of Tirion. 😂
The illustrations are bordered with decorative patterns in a medieval or Celtic style. I enjoy drawing these kinds of patterns, and I thought they would be reminiscent of the floral patterns on some of the blankets you designed for
our Mettarë comic.
There are lots of little details here for you to see and enjoy. I myself find it very entertaining to look at. So many things to observe!
And I hope your birthday is a blessed one, my friend. 🫂
The borders do remind me of some of the blanket designs, yes! And I do enjoy observing lots of details, making my appreciation of the artist's work even greater. 😊
Let's see what details I spy... there's the anvil and hammer from Curvo's blanket; it appears Curvo's working on a red star-shaped ring; Finno's "lightbulb" idea is actually a lantern here; the subtle changes in expressions; Curvo and Finno in
the mirror; the differences in the shape of their heads and ears; the Catvo paw prints; Curvo's "What do you want?" crabby stare at Fingolfin and the latter's jump reaction; Maitimo's utter confusion (as Wii music plays in his head 😂); Tyelko's head turning back and forth, etc.
Is Curvo slightly paler in his complexion than Finno in the central image?
It's also interesting to see Finno with loose hair and no gold-laced braids, wearing red, and Curvo vice versa in blue!
If they're just going about their day as they normally would if they were themselves, Finno will probably get his clothes back all covered in soot from the forge. 😂
Thank you again for this wonderful birthday gift, Servo! ❤️☺️🫂
✨
Music! ✨
While I was drawing, this melody came into my head. No doubt I recalled it due to thinking about Fingon and his harp.
And here are a couple of other pieces of harp music which I think might suit Fingon.
These are beautiful and very relaxing! I've been listening to them quite a bit, and even now as I am writing this. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to learn how to play the lyre because of Finno, but for now listening to these lovely pieces and imagining Fingon playing them is good enough. Thank you for sharing these! ☺️✨