• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tolkien's worst character

Fair enough.

dont-make-me-turn-this-car-around.jpeg
 
Sorry Hisky, that is more comical than offensive, mainly because it doesn't make any sense and I've already wasted too much time on your personal attacks. Better call in an 'airstrike' 'commander'. 😄
It's ok, Halsy, to a "fantasy expert", I'm glad he's noticing he's wasting our time at last😄😄😄
Please read the title of this thread. It says "Tolkien's Worst Character", not 'Tolkien's Worst Character that isn't in the Silmarillion.'
Oh yes, I got it, so read the title again, what are you waiting for, is that so hard to you?Keep your eyes on the age of which characters you're talking about.
I agree with a lot of what you said but she's not the worst imho.
I agree she's not the worst as well. I've to say, seriously, the "definition" of "worst" is really subjective, however, the contradictions is really a unpreventable but deadly obstacle to cross over for all authors, for readers, in particular to the 1st-time, are empty to anything to the whole lore, it goes without saying to the characters.
I think what make Galadriel not that well was that the latter relative products of JRRT's lore published after the LOTR series, such as the Lost Tales and so forth. JRRT's most splendid action, according to my observation, was that he provided a fully-organized but simple lore before the plot started .JRRT's works was really a huge challenge as setting a whole new lore.
 
Can anyone understand what the Moro is saying? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

She was never one of my favorite characters (sorry Halasían) and I agree with a lot of what you said but she's not the worst imho.
My friend Ithilethiel, by "she", I am guessing you are referring to Galadriel and not Lobelia?
 
Is the "Moro" mentioned above another "fantasy character" doesn't exist again? Or the "Moro" is just talking to himself again.
She was never one of my favorite characters (sorry Halasían) and I agree with a lot of what you said but she's not the worst imho.
It's okay for me about any kind of view, and please let me have your pardon if I've misunderstood your point. XD
 
In regards to Amrod and Amras, they got more backstory in the notes which made them stand-out quite a bit more. One being burned alive by his father.

My least favourite character is Fëanor. He's a terrible, selfish person. Tolkien seemed to like him, claiming "who could be said to love their father more?"
 
Is the "Moro" mentioned above another "fantasy character" doesn't exist again? Or the "Moro" is just talking to himself again.

It's okay for me about any kind of view, and please let me have your pardon if I've misunderstood your point. XD
Nope, we're good...
 
I briefly read through this thread. I'm rather disappointed that no one has lightheartedly compared it with either of Gimli's exchanges with Eomer.

And before he went to his rest he sent for Gimli the Dwarf, and he said to him: ‘Gimli Glóin’s son, have you your axe ready?’

‘Nay, lord,’ said Gimli, ‘but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.’

‘You shall judge,’ said Éomer. ‘For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady in the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.’

‘Well, lord,’ said Gimli, ‘and what say you now?’

‘Alas!’ said Éomer. ‘I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.’

‘Then I must go for my axe,’ said Gimli.


Tolkien's worst character? That's rather an interesting question to contemplate because even his peripheral characters serve peripheral purposes rather well, otherwise one might assert a character like Snowmane for lacking character development. Hmm.
 
To talk about Tolkien's alleged "worst" character is extremely vague and subjective. Not everyone will have the same opinion regarding the characters in his books. In my own opinion, Galadriel is a very interesting character. She seems connected to a sort of "spiritual world" and has connections with more than simply what it seen. The mirror sequence, I must admit was one of my favorites, and I always loved how elegantly and gracefully she spoke. The fact that not everything is known about her and that her character can be very vague, is personally one of my favorite aspects of her as it leaves things open for pondering and interpreting words more than one way.

As for other characters, such as Tom Bombadil, in contrast to most, I did not mind him. I thought he was a fine character who always seemed to be there just when you needed him. I thought his outfit quite silly, yet that added to the humor of the book- obviously not a negative thing. I was so very much intrigued that Tom did not seem to have any connection to the Ring and pondered deeply why he didn't just destroy it and let Frodo just be. (However, secretly I was very glad he didn't, as I loved the idea of Frodo risking his life carrying a Ring)

This thread is very interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing what becomes of it.

Elbereth Vala Varda
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top