• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who would win if rohan and gondor had a ⚔️war??

Rohan vs Gondor: WAR!

  • ROHAN WINS

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • GONDOR WINS

    Votes: 18 94.7%

  • Total voters
    19

Elassar

Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2022
Messages
180
The free peoples ( especially Rohan and Gondor ) usually unite too face the forces of darkness in times of strife, but what would happen if these two countries of men waged war on each other's borders.there is a major battle on the border between the eastfoldand Anorien who wins
 
Gondor has superior military technology.

I am assuming you mean around the time of TWOTR? According to the Atlas of ME [if i am not mistaken], Gondor has more troops, I would also say they are better equipped hailing from the Numernoreans. Rohan does not have a large standing army but a large muster of men loyal to their lords. Gondor is battle testes veterans aginst Mordor.
lol they have battle WHAT veterans?!
 
Have pity on us poor dyslexics!
I know in my case it would just be lousy typing. I often manage to hit neighboring keys to the ones I want. "a" and "d" often show up instead of intended "s", as the first two straddle the third (my spellchecker catches most of this).

The "a" key has special dangers lurking, as to its left is the shift-lock key; slightly errant aim, aND SUDDENLY i#M TYPING LIKE THIS: 😬
 
I would say, it depends on the battlefield, tactic and goals. In siege battles and taking cities, Gondor. As a skirmish force on plains, Rohan has obviusely the edge. It would probably be evenly matched depending on Rohan tactic. Coming from the success of Hunnic army, or how Mongol army of 100,000 mounted, lightly armored warriors armed with bow and arrows conquered almost 18% percent of world land area I would not consider trained well organized mounted army to be harmless.
 
However, the Hunnic and Mongol forces were made up of light horsemen, armed with bows, with a much smaller percentage of heavy cavalry (I realize I'm oversimplifying a bit).

The Rohirrim were the opposite-- overwhelmingly heavy cavalry, mail-armored and spear-armed, with very few archers, like the Normans, on which they were partially based. Battle tactics would be totally different; as we see from the story, they relied on the massed charge.
 
However, the Hunnic and Mongol forces were made up of light horsemen, armed with bows, with a much smaller percentage of heavy cavalry (I realize I'm oversimplifying a bit).

The Rohirrim were the opposite-- overwhelmingly heavy cavalry, mail-armored and spear-armed, with very few archers, like the Normans, on which they were partially based. Battle tactics would be totally different; as we see from the story, they relied on the massed charge.
It makes sense. But if we compare the Rohirrim with the Normans, I should say that the Normans were quite successful.
 
However, the Hunnic and Mongol forces were made up of light horsemen, armed with bows, with a much smaller percentage of heavy cavalry (I realize I'm oversimplifying a bit).

The Rohirrim were the opposite-- overwhelmingly heavy cavalry, mail-armored and spear-armed, with very few archers, like the Normans, on which they were partially based. Battle tactics would be totally different; as we see from the story, they relied on the massed charge.
If you want to be really, really technical, Mongol heavy cavalry was actually heavier in terms of armor and weapons used than their European counterparts. But main advantage for the Mongols was strategic mobility and developed battlefield command-and-control.

And also, one has to consider terrain. Mongols got beaten in Croatia, in large part due to a combination of mountainous terrain and well placed stone fortresses. Rohirrim, being heavy cavalry with some infantry, might be less affected by the unfavorable terrain of Gondor. But Gondor's fortifications might pose to them same problems that Dalmatian fortresses did to Mongols.
 
Back
Top