• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Ancalagon vs. Glaurung

Who could destroy the other?

  • Ancalagon

    Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Glaurung

    Votes: 10 33.3%

  • Total voters
    30
Well, at least I put reason. Am I a crazy person for missing something that says that Ancalagon was the most powerful?
 
Glaurung. I got the impression when reading about him that he was unstoppable my friend, unstoppable! I wager one stone death stare and Ancalagon forgets who he is. Who's your daddy! (Literally)
 
I would have to say Ancalagon. Didn't Gandalf say so? In the "The Shadow of the Past" chapter, or perhaps in "The Council of Elrond", when he is speaking about the possibility of melting the Ring?

(Come to think of it, it is surely in The Shadow of the Past, when he is telling Frodo his fire would not melt even ordinary gold).

Can someone come up with a quote? I think Gandalf says there that Ancalagon the Black had the hottest fire of all dragons, and perhaps more.
 
Originally posted by BlackCaptain
I would say Glaurung. He's the father of dragons for jeeezes sakes!

Why does being the first have to imply being the greatest? Glaurung was the first, and Ancalagon was a "result" of many experiments and improvements that Morgoth tried out (e.g. wings); I think Ancalagon may have been "the final product", and therefore the greatest. Glaurung was more of a cunning dragon, and his main advantage were his spells which inflicted much woe upon the house of Húrin. Ancalagon strikes me as a "raw" fighting machine plus those wings must be a big plus for Anc and a shortcoming of Glaurung, and would therefore win a one-on-one fight. IMO of course. Plus those wings must be a big plus for Anc and the lack thereof a shortcoming for Glaurung,

Here's the quote that Eriol refers to, from The Shadow of the Past:

‘Your small fire, of course, would not melt even ordinary gold. This Ring has already passed through it unscathed, and even unheated. But there is no smith’s forge in this Shire that could change it at all. Not even the anvils and furnaces of the Dwarves could do that. It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; [color=sky blue]nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring[/color], for that was made by Sauron himself. There is only one way: to find the Cracks of Doom in the depths of Orodruin, the Fire-mountain, and cast the Ring in there, if you really wish to destroy it, to put it beyond the grasp of the Enemy for ever.’

Originally posted by Melko Belcha
I say Glaurung, look at all the destruction he caused and nobody was able to defeat him for a long time. Ancalagon was killed in the first battle he showed up in.

The "first battle" Ancalagon participated in, was also the greatest battle there ever was - they were up against the host of the Valar for crying out loud. Plus it was Ancalagon & co. that drove back the forces of the Valar, until Eärendil showed up and slew him. Ancalagon's fall caused the mountains of Thangorodrim to crumble to bits.
 
Last edited:
Yowzer... Must you post quotes on every single thread you reply to? Think just how much damage Glalurung caused:

-Destroyed Nargothrond
-Killed Turin
-Probly some other really bad stuff I can't think of

What did Ancalagon do?:
-Greatest Winged dragon
-....
 
Originally posted by BlackCaptain
Yowzer... Must you post quotes on every single thread you reply to? Think just how much damage Glalurung caused:

-Destroyed Nargothrond
-Killed Turin
-Probly some other really bad stuff I can't think of


-....
I would add also............caused Niniel's tragedy.
 
Ack! Crazy people! It's too bad that more is said about Glaurung. oh well. From what I know, I would think that it would be obvious who's bigger and eviller and scarier. So what if Ancalagon can fly and is famous for some really hot breath? Glaurung had better armour and was a lot smarter and bigger and stronger. As far as I know. Someone prove me wrong. If this Ancalagon character got anywhere near Glaurung, he would get his head crushed or something.
 
Originally posted by BlackCaptain
Think just how much damage Glalurung caused:

-Destroyed Nargothrond
-Killed Turin
-Probly some other really bad stuff I can't think of


Ancalagon was pitted against the mightiest of foes. How would Glaurung have fared against the Host of the Valar? And he didn't kill Turin, BTW.
Sure Glaurung bewitched the children of Hurin, and it was dangerous to mess with him, but he couldn't defeat Ancalagon in combat.

by YayGollum
Glaurung had better armour and was a lot smarter and bigger and stronger.

He did? He was? Quotes please. Or is that your opinion?
Sure he had spells, but do you really think they would have been helpful or effective against Ancalagon, Morgoth's latest creation?
 
Sure, I guess those were some opinions of mine. just like you saying things like ---> "but he couldn't defeat Ancalagon in combat" and ---> "Ancalagon, Morgoth's latest creation" :rolleyes: oh well. I liked to assume that he had better armour because he was older and, as far as I know, dragons get better armour the older they get. Silly me. I said that he was smarter and bigger and stronger just because I've never said anything that said how smart and big and strong that Ancalagon guy was. Whoops! :rolleyes:
 

Similar threads

Back
Top