• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Aragorn on Weathertop

1. The Witch King may knew fear but that was fear of Sauron, the most powerful Maia and his master, not mortal man. Hey, he didn't fear even Gandalf the White.

Agree with this point.

I belive black breath was dispensed at will, not that everyone coming close would be stricken.

How?

We get the following mentions and ussages of Black Breath in Lord of the The Rings,

'I am afraid that's true,' said Merry, 'though I don't know what I said. I had an ugly dream, which I can't remember. I went to pieces. I don't know what came over me.'
'I do,' said Strider. 'The Black Breath. The Riders must have left their horses outside, and passed back through the South-gate in secret. They will know all the news now, for they have visited Bill Ferny; and probably that Southerner was a spy as well. Something may happen in the night, before we leave Bree.'

Chapter 10, Strider, FOTR

‘I drew it forth,’ said Imrahil, ‘and staunched the wound. But I did not keep the arrow, for we had much to do. It was, as I remember, just such a dart as the Southrons use. Yet I believed that it came from the Shadows above, for else his fever and sickness were not to be understood; since the wound was not deep or vital. How then do you read the matter?’
‘Weariness, grief for his father’s mood, a wound, and over all the Black Breath,’ said Aragorn. ‘He is a man of staunch will, for already he had come close under the Shadow before ever he rode to battle on the out-walls. Slowly the dark must have crept on him, even as he fought and strove to hold his outpost. Would that I could have been here sooner!’

The House of Healing, Return of the King

When the black breath blows
and death’s shadow grows
and all lights pass,
come athelas! come athelas!
Life to the dying
In the king’s hand lying!

The House of Healing, Return of the King

1. In the first situation Merry is alone, and no one is near him, so their is no cause of the Black Breath to effect anyone but him. Nob really was quiet far when he saw the two 'men' stooping over Merry.
The symptoms of Black Breath are :

He seemed to be asleep. "I thought I had fallen into deep water," he says to me, when I shook him. Very ***** he was, and as soon as I had roused him, he got up and ran back here like a hare.'

Strider, Fellowship of the Ring, Book1

Now compare them with the symptoms that Faramir displayed:


Yet I believed that it came from the Shadows above, for else his fever and sickness were not to be understood; since the wound was not deep or vital. How then do you read the matter?’
‘Weariness, grief for his father’s mood, a wound, and over all the Black Breath,’ said Aragorn. ‘He is a man of staunch will, for already he had come close under the Shadow before ever he rode to battle on the out-walls. Slowly the dark must have crept on him, even as he fought and strove to hold his outpost. Would that I could have been here sooner!’

What I gather from the aforeposted excurses is that people with a strong will could fight Black Breath in moderate ammounts. It would effect them slowly until they finally out of fatique and it's effect fall prey to it.
Upon the point of it being dispersed, Imrahil is describing that It came from 'The shadows above. What Kind of shadows were these, puffs of Black Breath in vapourized form? But whatever they were they don't seem to be poised only at Faramir; seemed distributed over all the general vicinity. I belief that when the Ringwraiths were close to Mordor or were ready to attack, they disposed ammounts of Black Breath. It seemed that he had allready come under black breath before his sojourn to the feilds; now this shows that it couldn't well have been aimed at him alone and that it was a general dispersion: everyone within the range would be struck.

Offcourse some belief that both Merry and Ewoyn were also stricken with black breath, certainly the fatique which lay upon Merry suggests that.

**

They did not lose form in the flood, they lost their steeds and had to travel back on foot.

What about the black tattered cloak they found? I believe that atleast one of them lost its bodily hue and the undead flesh was revealed. It also bring about an interesting idea: Is it possible that Ringwraiths without their cloaks can't sustain the sunlight for a long period of time? Certainly we never see the Nazgul's without their cloaks and then when the Nazgul were wiped out in the flood, and one of them lost his cloak, he couldn't sustain the sunlight any longer for it effected his undead flesh and had to flee fast towards Mordor. Its a farfetched theory but it comes to mind, specially seeing Sauron's reluctance to unleash Nazgul which although involved other reasons but this might be a reason too. Certianly we know that Nazgul even in their cloaks became less potent during the daylight.


I don't really think they feared getting their cloacs burn, come on, they did not need them much anyway. I think there was something else they disliked about the fire.

I still think the reason is that it burned their cloaks and might did some harm to their sort of undead flesh.
Off all the times when Nazgul's were revealed, we never see them in full potent with their cloaks or at their winged steeds so It just might be that cloaks were needed to give them a definate hue and that their flesh dispersed or they weren't as effective without their cloaks.

As I said before, perhaps Men had the ability to bear the toll of Black Breath in small amount. And in fact the only occurance of Black Breath we see in Arnor is when it is used on Merry, and remember Merry was alone, and he had no weapon to protect himself, not even fire.
Whereas, Aragon was skilled, he had been in Gondor so he knew about the ringwraiths and the WitchKing due to his lineage. This also makes me wonder whether Black Breath was only a Nazgul weapon? The cloud mentioned by Imrahil seems to indicate to me that it was a general tactic employed by Sauron because only he could send forth clouds of any magnitude.
Is it possible that fire countered the efffects of the Black Breath?
It is also plausible that Nazgul potent decreased as their distance from their sources, their rings increased.

But wouldn't their quick sitaution analysis tell them that Gandalf could be around and help from Rivendell might come, and because of these two potent adverseries, it would be better if they grab the ring at the moment?
I somehow feel that if they could grab the ring, they would have, but because of the intervention of Aragon they couldn't.

Remember their encounter with Gandalf on Amon Sul. The Hobbits saw fireworks, which meant that Gandlaf himself had used fire, doesn't this point out that fire was an effective weapon against the Nazgul?
 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. The Witch King may knew fear but that was fear of Sauron, the most powerful Maia and his master, not mortal man. Hey, he didn't fear even Gandalf the White.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Agree with this point.

But the Witch-King was scared of Boromir (the Ruling Steward) as well. But that's another can of worms.

It also bring about an interesting idea: Is it possible that Ringwraiths without their cloaks can't sustain the sunlight for a long period of time?

I love this idea! An excellent point, Beleg! But maybe instead of the words 'sustain the sunlight' I would use 'perform to their greatest ability', because I believe that the Sun messes up the Shadow-World in which they live. It's hard for them to distinguish forms and shapes in the sunlight, and without their cloaks this would be even worse, I think.

'The shadows above. What Kind of shadows were these, puffs of Black Breath in vapourized form?

I think by 'shadows' Imrahil might have just meant the Nazgul flying through the air on their winged steeds.

Is it possible that fire countered the efffects of the Black Breath?

This, I think, is quite likely, considering the heat that fire gives off, and the cold that one feels when they are influenced by the Black Breath, it could kind of 'warm you up'. This sounds a little bit simplistic, but I think it holds some water.

But wouldn't their quick sitaution analysis tell them that Gandalf could be around and help from Rivendell might come, and because of these two potent adverseries, it would be better if they grab the ring at the moment?

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. First of all, we don't know that the Nazgul knew the location of Rivendell, or that is was close, or that they even knew that Rivendell might have news of Frodo's plight.

Second of all, I think that Gandalf only used his fire tricks on Weathertop to escape. The Nazgul didn't know the connection between Frodo and Gandalf or the connection between Gandalf and Strider, nor did they know where Gandalf went after he escaped.

Remember their encounter with Gandalf on Amon Sul. The Hobbits saw fireworks, which meant that Gandlaf himself had used fire, doesn't this point out that fire was an effective weapon against the Nazgul?

It does indeed, shall I use the phrase "emphasis added"?

Edit (forgot to add this):

Not that it really matters to this thread, but I undestood that Faramir was the character closest to Tolkien's heart.

Possibly...but what about this quote?:

Unforeseen developments that would become central to the narrative are seen at the moment of their emergence: the palantir bursting into fragments on the stairs of Orthanc, its nature unknown to the author as to those who saw it fall, or the entry of Faramir into the story ('I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking through the woods of Ithilien').

This is from a summary of "The History of Middle-earth, The War of the Ring", that's in the back of my copy of FotR. Tolkien said this - it implies something, but what?
 
But the Witch-King was scared of Boromir (the Ruling Steward) as well. But that's another can of worms.

Yes he was also scared from him but in a different prespective.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. First of all, we don't know that the Nazgul knew the location of Rivendell, or that is was close, or that they even knew that Rivendell might have news of Frodo's plight.

But the lord of the Nazgul, the Witch-King ruled Angmar for many centuries! He was sure to know where Rivendell was and so would the other Nazgul know!

If we see this through Sauron's mind, who had a creaving for power and the ring, and believed everyone to act like him in this regard, then Elves should also be looking for the Ring? Shouldn't they? He would fear, did the Mirkwood elves succeeded in getting something out of Gollum? And did they tell that to folks in Rivedell and Lorien?

Second of all, I think that Gandalf only used his fire tricks on Weathertop to escape. The Nazgul didn't know the connection between Frodo and Gandalf or the connection between Gandalf and Strider, nor did they know where Gandalf went after he escaped.

Are you sure that he [Sauron] didn't knew about the connection between Hobbits and Gandalf?
 
Are you sure that he [Sauron] didn't knew about the connection between Hobbits and Gandalf?

Possibly he did, that's if he really knew who Gandalf was at all, and I don't know if the Nazgul would have understood just who they were fighting........

But the lord of the Nazgul, the Witch-King ruled Angmar for many centuries! He was sure to know where Rivendell was and so would the other Nazgul know!

Was he sure? I don't think he was, if this quote is anything to go by:

You are right Frodo,' said Gandalf, 'to go back is to admit defeat, and face worse defeat to come. If we go back now, then the Ring must remain there: we shall not be able to set out again. Then sooner or later Rivendell will be besieged, and after a brief and bitter time it will be destroyed.

--- Gandalf, LotR, FotR, Chapter IV "A Journey in the Dark".

I think that this means that first Rivendell would be discovered, and once it was, it would be besieged. It is also described by Boromir as being a 'hidden vale', and that 'few knew where it lay'. I do not think, that if the Men of Gondor did not know where Rivendell was, that the Witch-King would have known.

Besides, Rivendell was still a long long way from Weathertop, and I'm sure they believed that they could have got the Ring by then, as there were still 'many long miles of Eriador', or something like that.

The Nazgul didn't even know that Aragorn and the Hobbits were headed for Rivendell, and I especially doubt that they could have guessed who Aragorn was, so they didn't know there was a connection between him and Rivendell.

Perhaps the Witch-King knew the approximate location of Rivendell, but if so, he knew it was reasonably far away.

If we see this through Sauron's mind, who had a creaving for power and the ring, and believed everyone to act like him in this regard, then Elves should also be looking for the Ring? Shouldn't they? He would fear, did the Mirkwood elves succeeded in getting something out of Gollum? And did they tell that to folks in Rivedell and Lorien?

Well, I don't think that Sauron or the Witch-King would have been worried about the Lorien of Mirkwood Elves at this stage. He did not suppose that the Elves were looking for the Ring, at least not in the way that he was, because he believed that at the end of the second age, the Elves had destroyed the Ring, so he knew that they could resist its power.
 
What?

Possibly he did, that's if he really knew who Gandalf was at all, and I don't know if the Nazgul would have understood just who they were fighting........

Are you saying that Sauron didn't knew who Gandalf was?


‘Where such laws hold,’ said Gandalf, ‘it is also the custom for ambassadors to use less insolence. But no one has threatened you. You have naught to fear from us, until your errand is done. But unless your master has come to new wisdom, then with all his servants you will be in great peril.’
‘So!’ said the Messenger. ‘Then thou art the spokesman, old greybeard? Have we not heard of thee at whiles, and of thy wanderings, ever hatching plots and mischief at a safe distance? But this time thou hast stuck out thy nose too far, Master Gandalf; and thou shalt see what comes to him who sets his foolish webs before the feet of Sauron the Great. I have tokens that I was bidden to show to thee - to thee in especial, if thou shouldst dare to come.’ He signed to one of his guards, and he came forward bearing a bundle swathed in black cloths.

Besides Sauron and Gandalf were both Maia; that is angelic beings of the same order so it is possible that they knew of eachother even before they came to Middle-earth.

And If Sauron knew about Gandalf, Witch-King definately knows about him too.

Nazgul know perfectly well who they were fighting, they were cunning and sly captains of men of old and would have retained some of their more evil qualities even in their as ringwraiths in the servitude of Sauron.
They were his special servants and deadliest weapons and also his messengers, and if he wanted them to be effective in the west, he needed them to be uptodate with the happenings of the West.
Also Nazgul chief talked with Saruman and they also discussed Gandalf,[UT]
It is not a land that you look for," it said. "I know what you seek, though you do not name it. I have it not, as surely its servants perceive without telling; for if I had it, then you would bow before me and call me Lord. And if I knew where this thing was hid, I should not be here, but long gone before you take it. There is one only whom I guess to have this knowledge: Mithrandir, enemy of Sauron. And since it is but two days since he departed from Isengard, seek him nearby

so it is completely immposible if they didn't knew of Gandalf and his possibilities.

This also answers whether Sauron knew about Gandalf's connection with Hobbits because evidently Sauron did knew due to the treachery of Saruman and the efficeny of Nazgul Lord.



Was he sure? I don't think he was, if this quote is anything to go by:


You are right Frodo,' said Gandalf, 'to go back is to admit defeat, and face worse defeat to come. If we go back now, then the Ring must remain there: we shall not be able to set out again. Then sooner or later Rivendell will be besieged, and after a brief and bitter time it will be destroyed.



--- Gandalf, LotR, FotR, Chapter IV "A Journey in the Dark".
Obviously, this Quote isn't anything to go by. Because it is no where connected with Nazgul and doesn't even hint about any possible relation between Nazgul's and Rivendell. It only tells us that Rivendell will [Probably the last] Elvish centre to be besieged and destroyed.

While on the other hand we get,

It is said that Angmar was for a time subdued by the Elvenfolk coming from Lindon; and from Rivendell, for Elrond brought help over the Mountains out of Lorien.

The King of Angmar was the Lord of the Nazgul. Do you think that he would forget Rivendell and its forces when it apparantly caused him humilation and defeat. Also Rhuduar was very near Imladris and he had even besieged Imladris,

Rhudaur was in the North-east and lay between the Ettenmoors, and the Weather Hills, and the Misty Mountains, but included also the angle between the Hoarwell and the Loudwater.

The Area just above the hidden refuge of Imladris.

Now we know that Witch-king occupied Rhudaur.


it was in the begining of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyondf the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other creatures
[The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.]’
In the days of Argeleb son of Malvegil, since no descendants of Isildur remained in the other kingdoms, the kings of Arthedain again claimed the lordship of all Arnor. The claim was resisted by Rhudaur. There the Dúnedain were few, and power had been seized by an evil lord of the Hill-men, who was in secret league with Angmar. Argeleb therefore fortified the Weather Hills; but he was slain in battle with Rhudaur and Angmar.
Arveleg son of Argeleb, with the help of Cardolan and Lindon, drove back his enemies from the Hills; and for many years Arthedain and Cardolan held in force a frontier along the Weather Hills, the Great Road, and the lower Hoarwell. It is said that at this time Rivendell was besieged.

it proves that the Ringwraiths knew very well where atleast Rivendell lay.


I think that this means that first Rivendell would be discovered, and once it was, it would be besieged. It is also described by Boromir as being a 'hidden vale', and that 'few knew where it lay'. I do not think, that if the Men of Gondor did not know where Rivendell was, that the Witch-King would have known.

Even if he had once besieged it?

Besides, Rivendell was still a long long way from Weathertop, and I'm sure they believed that they could have got the Ring by then, as there were still 'many long miles of Eriador', or something like that.

But why give him more time and prolong their journey and increase the chances of any sortee or aid from Rivendell finding them?

The Nazgul didn't even know that Aragorn and the Hobbits were headed for Rivendell, and I especially doubt that they could have guessed who Aragorn was, so they didn't know there was a connection between him and Rivendell.

They didn't, but they could effectively guess. They didn't knew who Aragon was, only that he was working in connection with Gandalf. That they would have found out because it was Aragon who handed Gollum to the Elves of Mirkwood and Sauron learnt that it was a man [Aragon at that time of little importance for Sauron knew nothing of his lineage] who captured him.

Perhaps the Witch-King knew the approximate location of Rivendell, but if so, he knew it was reasonably far away.

He knew the exact location or he wouldn't have been able to besiege it. It was faraway but still why give them more time?
I still believe that if the Ringwraiths had been able to acquire the ring, they would have taken it from Frodo, but they weren't allowed to do it, because of the trick of Aragon and they had to back away.

Well, I don't think that Sauron or the Witch-King would have been worried about the Lorien of Mirkwood Elves at this stage. He did not suppose that the Elves were looking for the Ring, at least not in the way that he was, because he believed that at the end of the second age, the Elves had destroyed the Ring, so he knew that they could resist its power.

Not worried about the Lorien or Mirkwood elves?

It is thus most likely that the first news of Gollum would be learned by the servants of Dol Guldur after Aragorn entered the Forest; for though the power of Dol Guldur was supposed to come to an end at the Old Forest Road, its spies were many in the wood... ...This might mean little. Neither Sauron nor any of his servants yet knew of Aragorn or who he was. But evidently later (since the lands of Thranduil would now be closely watched), possibly a month later, Sauron heard the disquieting news that the Wise were aware of Gollum, and that Gandalf had passed into Thranduil's realm.
Sauron must then have been filled with anger and alarm. He resolved to use the Ringwraiths as soon as he could, for speed rather than secrecy was now important. Hoping to alarm his enemies and disturb their counsels with the fear of war (which he did not intend to make for some time), he attacked Thranduil and Gondor at about the same time. 7 He had these two additional objects: to capture or kill Gollum, or at least to deprive his enemies of him; and to force the passage of the bridge of Osgiliath, so that the Nazgûl could cross, while testing the strength of Gondor

I am not sure what you are getting at?
Destroyed the ring? If it had been destroyed he would never have arisen! but he had coaxed it out from Gollum that 'Baggins' possessed the ring. And not being effected by it? I am not sure what you base this upon because all events show that Elves were indeed effected by it and Sauron also believed that everyone who could get their hands on it and were powerful enough to use it and manipulate it [For the time being] would try to use it to overthrow him. He precieved that the Elves would try to do the same, and since Gollum had been captured by Mirkwood elves and they might have coaxed out the story from him also and then transmitted it to Rivendell and Lorien.
There was every chance the Rivendell elves might send a sortee down towards the shire so the best ploy would have been to strip Frodo of his treasure or carry him and then bolt because nearence to Rivendell meant more and quicker chance of help.
 
I had always thought that the Nazgúl had retreated to wait for their remaining number to return (safety in numbers, as they say). They would have had a bit of a shock with the whole 'Elbereth' thing, and Aragorn appearing out of nowhere.

They must have underestimated Aragorn's skill as a bushman though, as he was able to slip by the guard.

And Beleg: why is the Witch-King's fear of Boromir the Steward different to a fear of Aragorn?
 
Originally posted by Beleg
Did I ever say so?
Yep.
Originally posted by Beleg
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the Witch-King was scared of Boromir (the Ruling Steward) as well. But that's another can of worms.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes he was also scared from him but in a different prespective.
;)
 
Originally posted by Aulë
Yep.

;)

But this statement was made in answer of,


1. The Witch King may knew fear but that was fear of Sauron, the most powerful Maia and his master, not mortal man. Hey, he didn't fear even Gandalf the White.



Agree with this point.



But the Witch-King was scared of Boromir (the Ruling Steward) as well. But that's another can of worms.


And the subject being talked about here is Sauron not Aragon. ;)
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top