• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How old did the Drúedain live??

I'll just add here that the drowning in the Brandywine fits into the common pattern of the somewhat mysterious birth of the hero; it is often associated with water, often an apocalyptic flood. The death in a boating accident is the Low Mimetic Shire's "plausible" version of this Romance trope.

The conflicting stories and rumors presented at the very beginning of the story establish the mystery, and help to single Frodo out as an unusual person, fated for a uniquely heroic role. He has been symbolically "born" out of the waters of the river.

As, in fact, has Aragorn.
 
Last edited:
Hobbits had long lives? I thought they were pretty normal.
Bilbo at 131 was the longest lived hobbit. And that was due to the ring. Behind him was Gerontius at 130 years, naturally lived but quite remarkable.

Anyway, another item (longevity of Númenóreans) added to my list.
Compared to men of non-Númenorean descent, yes.
Having done some small research on the Topic and the initial question here, sir ZehnWaters, I have not been able to locate any mention of a life-expectancy for the Drúedain, nor any indication that those from Númenór had their live expectancy extended.
That's too bad. Seems like a snub by Eru.
 
Compared to men of non-Númenorean descent, yes.

I have no comparative to conclude this at present.
What is and where do we find the average life expectancy of the non-Númenoreans, and what and where for the Hobbits?
I've been looking without success.
 
I have no comparative to conclude this at present.
What is and where do we find the average life expectancy of the non-Númenoreans, and what and where for the Hobbits?
I've been looking without success.
Tolkien Gateway though I suppose I've never checked their sources. I went through the kings of Rohan and how old they were at death and compared them with age ranges of known hobbits. That the old Took was given the name at 130 and Aldor, king of Rohan, the same title at 101. Common hobbits regularly lived into their 90s with nobles living even longer (Merry is well past his 90s). Yet even some of the kings of Rohan only lived until their 70s.

I suppose also some supposition based on when they were considered "adults" (33).
 
Tolkien Gateway though I suppose I've never checked their sources. I went through the kings of Rohan and how old they were at death and compared them with age ranges of known hobbits. That the old Took was given the name at 130 and Aldor, king of Rohan, the same title at 101. Common hobbits regularly lived into their 90s with nobles living even longer (Merry is well past his 90s). Yet even some of the kings of Rohan only lived until their 70s.

I suppose also some supposition based on when they were considered "adults" (33).

They are good suppositions to be sure.
Personally, I might apply the term 'longer-lived' than 'long-lived' however. With that I could agree easily.
When I think of 'long-lived' I think more of the 350-450ish years of the Numenoreans at least...
But I tend to be picky. 😟
 
They are good suppositions to be sure.
Personally, I might apply the term 'longer-lived' than 'long-lived' however. With that I could agree easily.
When I think of 'long-lived' I think more of the 350-450ish years of the Numenoreans at least...
But I tend to be picky. 😟
AH. A misunderstanding based on definitions. A common problem.

Sidenote (and furthering my assertion of their longer-living compared to other men): Imrahil, noble, elven-blooded, and of Númenorean descent, lived to be 100. Gorbadoc Brandybuck (great-grandfather of Merry) lived to be 103.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ent
AH. A misunderstanding based on definitions. A common problem.

Yes. To an Ent, a difference in average of age of perhaps 15 - 30 years overall, (we cannot know for certain), is a bit inconsequential. Hardly a blip I fear.

Nonetheless, this is NOT one for the Great Halls, as there is substantive 'evidence' for the conclusion.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top