I know the thread title sounds dreadfully boring, but I cannot seem to find anything more fitting at this late hour.
I was re-reading "The Bridge of Kahzad-Dûm" chapter, and it made me ask myself a few questions that I thought I would share with the rest of you, specially as this place seems to be very quiet of late.
I was wondering especially about why Gandalf could not even guess what the foe on the other side of the door was.
Is it perhaps because there was such a large amount of unnamed creatures in the deep places of the earth that guessing was impossible?
In fact, not until Legolas observes
The question can be easily reversed to ask, "Did the Balrog know who/what it was facing?".
We have no real evidence of the Balrog's thought-process, but I would submit the following two quotes to support a theory I'd been toying with:
Could it be that it was because the Balrog perceived a Maia on the other side and knew that breaking his spell through a counter-spell would severely weaken him?
How much could the Balrog have known? Could it have known it was "Gandalf" on the other side, and if so did it know he was the embodiment of Olórin?
A lot of useless questions, I know, and my post could probably have been structured a lot better but perhaps someone can take the time to give it a read nonetheless
I was re-reading "The Bridge of Kahzad-Dûm" chapter, and it made me ask myself a few questions that I thought I would share with the rest of you, specially as this place seems to be very quiet of late.
I was wondering especially about why Gandalf could not even guess what the foe on the other side of the door was.
Surely there can only be a limited amount of beings in Middle-Earth that could "match" him, especially in spells, and a few of them could have been ruled out easily (Sauron, Saruman, the Nazgûl), so why is it that he cannot even hazard a guess, as shown in the following quoteWell, well! That's over! ' said the wizard struggling to his feet. `I have done all that I could. But I have met my match, and have nearly been destroyed.
andBut I found myself suddenly faced by something that I have not met before.
Gandalf must have been very knowledgeable on the subject of Balrogs, probably more so than any of us ever will, so why could he not recognize it, or even able to guess what it may have been?What it was I cannot guess, but I have never felt such a challenge.
Is it perhaps because there was such a large amount of unnamed creatures in the deep places of the earth that guessing was impossible?
In fact, not until Legolas observes
does Gandalf finally say the words'Ai! ai! ' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come! '
By this point, it would appear that Gandalf indeed had absolutely no clue what the being could be. What do you think it might have been, if not a Balrog?'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. `Now I understand.'
The question can be easily reversed to ask, "Did the Balrog know who/what it was facing?".
We have no real evidence of the Balrog's thought-process, but I would submit the following two quotes to support a theory I'd been toying with:
`I do not know,' answered Gandalf. `But I found myself suddenly faced by something that I have not met before. I could think of nothing to do but to try and put a shutting-spell on the door. I know many; but to do things of that kind rightly requires time, and even then the door can be broken by strength.
As far as my knowledge of Balrogs extends, their greatest strength lies in physical strength/force of arms and less in spell-casting (admittedly, I may be wrong here), so why would the Balrog choose to use a counter-spell rather than using strength to open the door, which was possible according to Gandalf's own admission?'What it was I cannot guess, but I have never felt such a challenge. The counter-spell was terrible. It nearly broke me.
Could it be that it was because the Balrog perceived a Maia on the other side and knew that breaking his spell through a counter-spell would severely weaken him?
How much could the Balrog have known? Could it have known it was "Gandalf" on the other side, and if so did it know he was the embodiment of Olórin?
A lot of useless questions, I know, and my post could probably have been structured a lot better but perhaps someone can take the time to give it a read nonetheless


