• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Ash nazg durbatulûk translation? (Black Speech of 🌋Mordor)

"Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

thats all i can find right know no guessing for what it means! it is pronounced i guess how Gandalf pronounces it in LOTR EE!!!

Thôl
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
"Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

thats all i can find right know no guessing for what it means! it is pronounced i guess how Gandalf pronounces it in LOTR EE!!!

Thôl
This could be way off, but I thought I'd tell what i think that means, does anyone else think the same? Maybe someone who knows better can correct me.

ash - one
nazg - ring (also seen in ringwraith = nazgul)
durba - rule
gimba - find
thraka - bring
though the a might be something that is added when suffix is to be added... I really do not know.
tul - them
uk - all
krimpa - bind
agh burzum-ishi- perhaps ishi means "in the" and burzum means darkness.. these are wild guesses really. As for "agh" perhaps it means "and". :confused:

Does anyone else think this or know otherwise?

TheDarkTyrant, I am not sure of the correct pronounciation.
 
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.'

This is not a personal translation, but was found with minimal research and varified across several web sites. Hope this is what you are looking for.​
 
Yeah well, I think the spelling was not the issue, but the pronunciation since the Black Speech pronunciation can be hard to guess from the text if the reader knows mainly just some non-phonetically written language like Modern English. (Hence "Seleborne" et al. pronunciations in the 1978 Bakshi animation, for instance.)

Florian Dombach gets the Ring Verse properly going in mp3 here: http://www.ellammath.de/ringinscription.htm
 
Celebthôl said:
"Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

thats all i can find right know no guessing for what it means! it is pronounced i guess how Gandalf pronounces it in LOTR EE!!!

Thôl

Thank you.....this is interesting. I am just learning the languages and this is useful. I have a copy of the One Ring....I only put it on once for a moment to check the size but I keep it in its box.

I wear a copy of Gandalf's ring every day.



;)
 

Today's events

Back
Top